Saturday, November 7, 2009

Oh...My...Gosh!!!!!


Last night I watched one of the most exciting comebacks in high school football. My son engineered it! I can't tell you how proud I am of him and how much I respect him. He's a 16 year old boy and he brought grown men to tears, literally, last night. I know that sounds silly but it really happened. I, of course, was bawling my head off. We played a very cocky, very physical team that we don't have great feelings for (OK, I'll say it, Escondido) and we beat them 31-28 in the last 31 seconds. In past years our varsity team has had a lot of trouble beating them and hasn't done it very often. I have a feeling that Hunter's last drive to score will be known throughout our town as "The Drive" for quite a while to come. He had a 75 yard touchdown run that tied us up and gave us our first inkling of hope for a possible victory. We were down 28-24 and he started marching us down the field. He almost got sacked several times but scrambled for his life and made such amazing throws to such not wide open receivers that the whole crowd was on their feet and several were actually crying. It was so amazing to see a young boy fight so hard and make such great decisions to pull out this win that the air was electric. Afterwards some of our toughest players' dads came up to Hunter and told him that they actually cried because of the overwhelming emotion of seeing such a performance. My boy grew up a ton last night. I have to say that I like the San Marcos type of wins (aka blowouts) better because they are way less stressful but the aftermath of a very hard win like this is infinitely more satisfying. I love my town, I love my team, I love my son! Go Grizzlies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment