Monday, October 27, 2014

Holiday Decorations?

Is there an actual date written down anywhere that specifies when it is socially permissible to put up your holiday decorations?  I think not.  And if there is then I take great joy in completely ignoring whatever date that is.  Some families are just not that into decorations and will put up a Christmas tree on Christmas Eve and take it down on December 26th and call it good.  They may also skip "Fall" and "Easter" or spring decorations altogether.  Completely their prerogative.  Nobody should let anyone tell them when they can decorate their houses for the holidays.  My family LOVES holiday decorations so we decided to put them up when we feel like it, which is much earlier than anyone we know.  I have taken quite a bit of ribbing for having my fall decorations up right on September 1st, which actually, where I live, starts our summer and we have the hottest time of the year.  Fall leaves and pumpkins in 100 degree weather?  What's wrong with that?  And I have taken even more jabs about starting my Christmas decorations the day after Halloween.  Yes, Halloween, not Thanksgiving, Halloween.  The past few years we have been fully decorated for Christmas long before Thanksgiving and the only thing that looks like Thanksgiving is the kitchen table decorations which come right off directly after dinner.  Christmas can never be too long in our house.  Also, I tend to slightly overdo the Christmas decorations so it takes a fair (ridiculous) amount of time to put them up so I don't really want to just turn around and take them down again.  If people want to scoff at seeing my house fully Christmastized by the first week in November, let 'em!  We will snuggle up in front of our tree and enjoy our lights for weeks and weeks if we want to.  We do live in America, after all.  FREEDOM of choice! So, friends, don't get bullied into decorating when everyone else does.  You just go ahead and do it whenever your little heart desires.  You have my permission and if anyone gives you grief just send them to me because I can just about guarantee that I am bigger than them, whoever they are.  You're welcome and Merry Christmas:)

No comments:

Post a Comment