Thursday, February 18, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad

Today is my dad's birthday.  He would have been 73.  He has been in Heaven for 7 years.  I don't really think of him very often but today I was.  I am the oldest of 5 children and I know my dad wanted boys.  He had 3 girls first and then 2 boys.  So, for the 7 years that he only had girls, I became his surrogate son.  He let me help him around our ranch.  I helped build fences, I held baby lambs while he cut off their tails, I watched him cut off chickens' heads and then helped clean up.  He didn't talk very much and didn't seem very comfortable around me but he made me feel useful and like he really needed my help.  My dad was hot!  He was only 21 when I was born and he always looked young.  He was my high school principal and I was very proud of that.  Everyone thought he was cool.  He had black hair and long black sideburns and even the bad kids respected him because he was always fair and kind.  He had a hard time opening up to me so we never got super close but I remember when I was a teenager we were riding in the car one day and a song came on the radio.  I said I really liked it and I really liked the words.  He asked who sang it which I thought was a little weird because he didn't really care about stuff like that so I told him.  Shortly after that it was my birthday and to my utter shock my dad had gone out and bought me the album with that song on it.  It is the only present to this day that my dad has ever gotten me and I will never forget the feeling I had knowing that he had taken the time to go out and find that album and buy it for me.  It was called "Watching Scotty Grow" and I don't even know who sang it.  How's that for a random memory?  Anyway, my dad was an awesome dad who always took care of us and gave me a wonderful childhood.  Thanks Dad!  Happy Birthday.  I love you and I'll be there soon. 

1 comment:

  1. My mom wanted me to say on her befalf, (since she is technologically retarded) "its bobby goldsboro.. now your memory is complete. Love Cadren."

    ReplyDelete