Thursday, January 23, 2014

Hi, Again:)

I know it's been centuries since I wrote on this thing but I've been conflicted of late.  I stopped writing because I felt pretentious thinking that anyone would care about anything I would have to say.  And, I knew that opening myself up to the public would also open myself up to criticism and not so nice comments and I am the world's biggest wimp when it comes to anyone feeling negatively about me so I just fell off the face of the earth for awhile.  Then, this last weekend in stake conference they kept talking about using the media to get to know people and get your views out there into the world and I felt prompted to get brave and start writing again.  I keep going back and forth with my fear so I don't know how long this will last but I'm back, for now.  Also, I realized that some of my relatives don't live close by and the only way they can know what's going on in my neck of the woods is to read this blog.  Right now, we are in the eye of a figurative hurricane.  My youngest son, Hunter, got home from his mission in Ohio on January 2nd and started school at BYU on January 6th.  He is marrying his high school sweetheart on March 1st so we are in hyper-speed wedding mode.  He comes home tomorrow from BYU to give his talk in church and to officially propose to his sweetheart as he now has a ring.  Yes, everything is happening backwards but, hey, that's how we roll.  Things are going as smoothly as can be expected since we are trying to plan a wedding with a family who wants nothing more than for our family to drop off the face of the earth:(.  We all knew this would happen though when our children started getting serious and our families belong to different churches.  They are taking everything in stride much better than I anticipated and we are all trying to just do the best we can for our children.  I never, in a million years, thought I would be going through this, though.  All of the rest of my children have married girls that were born and raised in our church.  I just assumed that my children would only be attracted to those of our faith.  Silly me!  As soon as someone more media savvy than me gets home, (obviously I'm home alone since everyone on the planet is more media savvy than me) I will try to post some really fun pictures of my crazy crew. 

3 comments:

  1. Just because she wasn't raised in the church, doesn't make her any less special. It's not a burden, it's a blessing that she has such a strong testimony, and wasn't brought up LDS. Going through "THIS" makes it seem like you are facing some terrible trial, when in reality, it's such a wonderful and special thing. Please don't forget that non-members are still people too, with feelings, thoughts, and families. Heavenly Father loves ALL his children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with Anonymous. I was so embarrassed for you when I read your post. As the mother of missionaries, I find it so sad that you would call your son's upcoming member to a convert "THIS". Isn't "THIS" what your sons spent 2 years of their lives for? Isn't "THIS" what the Savior wanted us to do? Bring others unto Christ and be baptized so that we can all return as families and live together forever? I hope your future daughter in law (and her family) never reads this post from you. How hurtful. Think of her strength, and the faith she has to do what she is doing? No wonder her family wants "you to drop off the face of the earth." Comments like "I just assumed that my children would only be attracted to those of our faith" are ignorant, isolating and arrogant and obstruct the very thing we are asked of Christ to do. Our church was built by converts like your future daughter in law. Beautiful, faithful people who are willing to give up everything familiar to them for something new because they have faith it is true. "THIS" thing that your son and daughter in law are about to do is EXACTLY why your son gave up 2 year of his life. This must be so hard for HER, not you. You should be rejoicing in their faith. Congratulations and good luck to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say to the last two "anonymous" posters on this thread is...Wow. THAT's what you took away from her post? Where did she say that her future daughter-in-law was "less special?" And unless either of you have gone through what she is going through, I would "insert-foot-here!" It is not "wonderful or special" to have another family dislike you so much and essentially believe you and their daughter are going to hell because of your beliefs. Relax folks. She and her future-daughter-in-law get along very well. You don't even know the half of it. So, I'm embarrassed for people like you both who find it so easy to spread the blogosphere with your virtual "word vomit," simply because of the ease that internet anonymity provides.

    ReplyDelete