Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Leave My Church Alone!

At church on Sunday I saw a presentation of how effective anti-Mormon literature is in the media today and how we need to be more aggressive, as members, in getting the truth out to the general public through our computers. I have always been puzzled by the term "anti-Mormon". What in the world could possibly make people upset about our religion? What, about our lifestyle, could possibly be offensive? Is it the not drinking, smoking or taking drugs? The abstinence from pre-marital sex? The lower than usual rate of divorce? The way we teach self-reliance and service? The tons of supplies and money and hours we have donated to those in need all over the world? What, about any of that, would make a church preach against us? Are we harming anyone? Do you EVER hear us preach against another church? We don't believe in some of the things they are preaching but do you ever hear us bash their beliefs? NEVER! Why would they do that to us? I could see if we were advocating practices that would harm them or their children or society as a whole but with the lifestyle we preach? Really? Have you ever met a Mormon you didn't like just because they were a Mormon? Unbelievable! No REAL Mormon living on this earth at this time has ever practiced polygamy. We send missionaries out to offer options to people who can certainly say "no" if they choose to. Most of the Mormons in any given community are talented, happy, friendly people who wouldn't hurt a fly. So what is the "anti" for? I just don't get it. And as for the claim that we aren't "Christians", what the....????? Jesus Christ is the center of our church and our lives. The name of the church is "The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints. What the heck is a Christian? Isn't it someone who recognizes Jesus Christ as the son of God and follows His teachings? What part of that is my church missing? I would never say this to anyone's face because that's just not how I was raised in my good Christian home but I get a lot braver when I'm behind a computer. So for those of you who don't agree with my beliefs (and I'm guessing 99% don't even know what they are) how about you keep your uninformed opinions to yourself and don't knock it till you've tried it! Now I will go repent and pray for more charity.

9 comments:

  1. well said. i think it's usually those who have taken offense by others who have acted out of human nature rather than our standards, thus leaving them perplexed and offended. it's so true though, if they actually knew what we stand for.. they'd have nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speak it loud Dyanna! You are right. As members WE need to tell people what we stand for before they get the information somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We share your frustration. I'd like to know more about the presentation you saw about the effectiveness of anti-Mormon literature and the media. Come join us on the Society for the Prevention of Anti-Mormonism web site. Our address is www.spamlds.org.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am a Christian. Not a Latter Day Saint. I came across this blog from a friend's site and just wanted to give some input from an outsiders view.

    In all the churches I have been a part of, Mormons have always been talked about in a very positive light. They have been held up for their commitment to family and applauded for their huge role in helping Prop 8 pass.

    If you ask someone who is Mormon if they are a Christian, he/she will say yes, but then clarify that they are of the Church of Latter Day Saints. A Lutheran, Presbyterian or Methodist would be content with being called a Christian.

    This is because the theology is so different. While protestant denominations differ in very little ways, Mormon theology is dramatically different from Christian theology.

    Mormons fall in the same category as Jehovah Witnesses and Christian Scientists (who both also have Christ in their name). These groups all use different Holy books to interpret the Bible or add on to Biblical teachings. While Mormons and Christians use the same terms, the definition of the terms is very different.

    There is a huge group of people who have a huge heart for the Mormon people. And although they think they may be the kindest, nicest people they know, they feel they are very mislead in their spiritual beliefs. I am sure many Mormons feel the same way about Christians, which shows there is a divide. There is a distinct difference.

    While Mormons believe their testimony is true because of a burning in their bosom, Christians have faith that is backed up by historical and archeological evidence, not to mention Biblical Consistency and prophecies come true. I think there are so many Christians who fear for, pray for and cry over their Mormon friends and family. Not because they don't live their life faithfully, but because the perfectionism felt by and theology taught by the Church of Latter Day Saints does not match up with what the Bible says and they fear what will happen to them not only while on this earth, but afterwards.

    Sigh. Please do not take this offensively. Or as Anti-Mormon, because it is anything but. Just sharing my heart on a blog I ran across.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you don't mind my leaving a comment. Last time I did on a Mormon blog in the public domain I was threatened with the thought police but maybe the lady was having a bad day. I am glad you have the best husband in the world. My wife has often wondered where he went to :)

    I know a lot about Mormonism although I don't expect that to count for much in your eyes just as you don't expect me to be anything other than a mean-spirited, uninformed anti-Mormon. But lets not make too many assumptions about each other.

    I do sympathise with you and know that some critics of your church can be inexcusably rude and childish, even cruel, but surely it isn't right or Christian to characterise every critic in the way you do? Of course you will not like criticism but then nobody does.

    I am not exactly swathed in smiles at the thought that my own Christian faith is routinely characterised as abominable and corrupt and Mormonism the corrective for all the error in my church. Now I am sure you believe this and see nothing controversial in it but it seems rich to complain when Christians turn their attenton to your own church in response.

    I don't believe the Mormon message is at all accurate in the way it portrays my faith, indeed I am convinced it misrepresents my Christianity both in doctrine and history but it seems that is alright with you while I am not permitted to respond without being called names. Somehow there seems a double standard working here.

    I respect your right to believe as you see fit and hope you will abide by your own article of faith stating you recognise that right for me. But I beg you to recognise that the fundamental message of Mormonism does the very thing you complain so-called anti-Mormons do, i.e. build up your own church by tearing down the faith of others. I am sorry if this offends you and wish you and your family well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Francine S. - That was a very nice post, however you are suggesting that the Mormon faith is not backed up by "historical evidence, not to mention Biblical Consistency and prophecies come true." I suggest you do a little more research about the Mormon church. Mormon doctrine is clearer than any other I have come across - with archeological evidence to back it up. A lot of misconceptions would be cleared up if more people got firsthand knowledge from the source - go visit an LDS church and listen to some missionaries. Mormons don't bite. We would love to ease your fears about what's going to happen to us in this life and the next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am intrigued by the confidence Elisabeth has in reliable archaeological evidence for Mormonism. Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place so maybe someone can point me to where I can find it.

    Another question that I find interesting is that of all those apparent misconceptions about Mormonism. It is a faith that boasts one of the most vigorous and pro-active publicity and missionary efforts in the world today so why do these misconceptions continue? Mormons are good at telling their story and correcting what they see as misconceptions so how do you explain it?

    ReplyDelete