Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What's in a name?

While I was on my walk this morning I was thinking about how fun nicknames are and about how many my silly family has for each other. It is definitely a sign of affection and we give them to everyone who comes into our family. Their origins are varied and the most ridiculously obscure ones can always be attributed to Hunter.

I don't have very many but the most common is probably "muth", short for mother. Some of the kids call me "mams" and Pat calls me by my middle name, Lynn. Pat is "Paps". Pat calls all of the boys "Ed". Brandon goes by "Beer" most of the time but has also been known to answer to "Brenda", "Beernard" "Brandoni" and "Bran Flakes". Kyle is "Kymimo",(the first parts of Kyle Miles Moore), "Kymes", "K-dog" and a multitude of unprintable names from Brandon. Tanner and Logan are "Ren" and "Nag", (the first part of their names backwards) along with every possible variation of those names and I call them Nanny and Nodie (what they called each other when they were little). Jensen is "Nez" which is his name backwards and "Fronies" (no clue). Hunter calls him "J-Dove", "J-Sleuce", "Doverly" and countless other things. Hunter has always been "Hunch" but also answers to "Hunchamabilia", "Hunt", "Superman" (please) and "Deuce" (his football number). Savannah is "Vanicula, Vannie or Van", Dad calls her "Squish" (huh?) and Hunter came up with "Ovularious", "Ovula" and finally "Ov". (Told you.) Now that Alana and Michelle are in our family they have been christened with names also. Michelle is mostly "Shell" (big stretch) but I call her "Smelly shelly belly". Alana got some real humdingers. Kyle labeled her "Lawndart" (?) and Tanner calls her "Tacos" which originated with her dad saying he liked to go to Mexico for tacos y flan which then moved to everyone calling her "Falana", then "Flan" and then just "Tacos" (tacos y flan? Get it?) Tanner calls his daughter, Ava, "Taquito". Since my niece, Sarah, has been staying with us this summer I have started calling her "Sarajevo" while everyone else calls her "Sare-bear".

There is no explaining the strange working of the Moore minds when it comes to nicknames but if we have given you one then you are pretty special to us.

1 comment:

  1. oh man this had me DYING while reading ALL of the options! every time i hear one of these being shouted out, it makes me smile. (lake isabella being the most concentrated time) i enjoy your family and all the nicknames that come with.

    ReplyDelete