Thursday, September 2, 2010

Here we go again!

It's that time again.  The night before the first football game.  I am desperately going to try to sleep tonight even though I am ridiculously nervous and excited.  I'm totally exhausted because I fed the whole varsity team tonight and there are 65 of them.  I spent all day cooking and cleaning.  I hope that is enough to tire me out and let me sleep.  This morning's paper had some very fun things.  A couple of pictures of my son and some very nice things written about him.  He is one of the "Elite Eleven" players in our county.  He is also the "face" of our football program according to our coach.  I know all parents get nervous and excited for their children in their sports but I think there is a small place in heaven reserved for quarterback parents.  The pressure is unbelievable.  Total strangers know who we are and watch us all the time.  Our son gets a ton of glory but also a ton of blame when things go wrong.  If he makes a bad pass or throws an interception we never know what happened until after the game when he tells us that the receiver ran the wrong route or that the ball was tipped by someone or that he just choked.  The people in the stands don't get that explanation so they usually just assume it was his fault.  Of course when we win though he is the town hero and everyone wants to be our friend.  I wouldn't trade this experience for anything but I may look a few years older the next time you see me from nerves and lack of sleep.  Go Grizzlies!

No comments:

Post a Comment