Monday, April 8, 2013

Do I Know My Headaches or What?

The last three weeks have been a health nightmare for me.  I got a bad cold and laryngitis and then got a really bad headache that I knew was sphenoid sinusitis because I've had it before.  Unfortunately, it's very rare and most doctors don't think of it or believe me when I say that I have it.  It got so bad after my vacation that I went to urgent care and told the doctor that I was pretty sure I knew what it was.  He didn't hear a word I said and diagnosed it as a "cough" headache.  He gave me some really good cough medicine and when I say "gave" I really mean charged me $50.00 for it.  Worth it though because it worked like a charm.  I didn't cough again after taking it for a couple of days.  However,  long after the cough was gone, the headache was still there and growing stronger.  Pain had even moved down into my back and my face and head broke out in bubbly blisters that itch and sting a little.  So, today I finally broke down, since I was rotting from the inside out, and went to the emergency room at the hospital.  The new one is really nice, by the way.  I got there at about 11:30 and was the only one in the waiting room.  What??? In the emergency room??? They got me in in five minutes and I spent the day racking up a huge bill, I'm sure, by getting blood tests, a CT scan and an MRI just so that they could tell me that I have....wait for it....SPHENOID SINUSITIS!!!  I already knew that!!  The head and face stuff has all the symptons of shingles but without the pain so they don't really know what that is.  I think they kind of left it at shingles because they didn't know what else it could be so maybe I will have this horrible disease without the horrible pain.  I sure hope so.  And I sure hope it goes away fast because it looks kind of like leoprosy and isn't very comfortable.  Hopefully if I ever get the headache again I can convince the doctors that I know what I'm talking about since it's happened twice now.  Nah, what am I thinking?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry! :-( I hope you feel better really soon!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a crazy sinus infection! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete