Monday, April 15, 2013

Miracle

We were able to witness a modern day miracle this weekend.  On Thursday afternoon my son, Kyle, called to tell me that his wife, Aubrie, was in the hospital trying not to have their baby, Rylie Ann, at 21 1/2 weeks.  I had a minor breakdown.  He told me that she had an incompetent cervix and that it wasn't staying shut to hold Rylie in.  To further complicate things, the membrane holding the baby in had started to slip out of her cervix so the doctors couldn't just sew her shut like they wanted to.  So, they waited overnight to see if the membrane would go back in by itself after tilting her back all night.  On Friday morning the news was wayyy worse.  Now not only was the membrane not back in but Rylie had turned around and was trying to come out.  Her head was pressed right up against the cervix and Aubrie was dilated to a 4.  Major breakdown.  Very little chance of saving this baby.  I fasted all day and prayed and cried myself sick.  I begged my little granddaughter all day to go back up inside her mommy.  Friday night Kyle and Logan graduated from physical therapy school and despite my anxiety and sorrow over Rylie I was bursting with pride for my two new doctors.  We spent Friday night worrying and praying and crying.  On Saturday morning we got the first part of our miracle.  Rylie had decided to listen to her grandmother and, I'm sure, her heavenly father and she had snuggled back up where she belonged.  The doctor decided to take a chance on trying to get the membrane back in without breaking it and sew Aubrie shut and aftering standing her practically on her head and using his little "tricks" he was successful!  Miracle complete!  Now we are continuing to pray that there is no infection and that her contractions will stop completely but for now, mommy and baby are resting and growing together.  After 5 months on her back Aubrie got about a week of normal life before she is now back down for the rest of her pregnancy which will hopefully be quite awhile longer.  I have the utmost respect for this little waif of a daughter-in-law.  She's probably barely 100 lbs. now but I've never seen a tougher girl.  I thank my heavenly father with all my heart for hearing our prayers and sparing our baby girl.  Now that the doctors know about Aubrie's cervix they can sew her up much earlier in her pregnancies and we shouldn't have anymore of these scares.  Thank the Lord!!

3 comments:

  1. So scary - glad to hear Aubrie and the baby are OK. Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend has an imcompetent uterus and once they figured it out, she was able to have four happy healthy pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete