Wednesday, July 1, 2009

God Bless the USA

Last Sunday we sang The Star- Spangled Banner in church and I bawled like a baby, as usual. The really bad part was that I was playing the organ at the time. I use that term really loosely because I don't really know how to play the organ but I have to as part of my church calling. Anyway, playing anything while your eyes are full of tears is really difficult. I thought I would share with you why my eyes were full of tears. Have you ever really listened to the second and third verses of our national anthem? They are amazing and very moving. They are as follows:

On the shore, dimly seen thru the mists of the deep, where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes, what is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep, as it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses? Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam, in full glory reflected now shines on the stream; 'tis the star-spangled banner! Oh, long may it wave o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Oh, thus be it ever, when free men shall stand between their loved homes and the war's desolation! Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a nation! Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, and this be our motto: "In God is our trust!" And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

These words just kill me. I love my country so much and I am so proud to be an American. The things we as a people have sacrificed for this country are immeasurable. The blessings we have are inumerable. Our spirits are unconquerable and our conviction, immovable. I know this is a land blessed above all other lands and I am so thankful that I get to call The United States of America "home".

1 comment:

  1. what are you talking about, you CAN & DO play the organ beautifully. and yes, i was a witness to the tears in your eyes, and they brought a smile to my face. they always do. (:

    ReplyDelete