Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ouch! Another crack in the rock

I just got back from my walk and while I was on it I got another sliver of wisdom and understanding. Have you ever wondered why certain things happen to you? When you are in the middle of a tragedy or a triumph do you ever wonder, "Why me?"? Recently I have had to draw on feelings from past situations in my life to get me through current ones. In doing so I realized that the reason I had to go through those situations then was so that I could handle the ones now. When I was a little girl I remember vividly on several occasions when I was either getting yelled at or praised that I would think "I will never forget how I am feeling at this moment and I will either a. never do this to someone else if it was negative and hurtful or b. try hard to do this to someone else because it feels good. I'm quite sure that most of you were not nearly such odd children so you probably didn't really focus on your feelings to that extent but if you tried you could probably remember and bring back how you felt on certain occasions. It's amazing how past experiences can help you in later life. You might get a certain type of mother so you can be a different certain type of mother. You may go through the pain and jealousy of having someone close to you seem to have a glamorous and wonderful life while making wrong choices and then watch them pay dearly in later life for those choices so that you can help the next generation with their choices and help them recognize that every choice has a consequence. You may fall in love too young and face all the struggles and challenges that that brings so you can help your children avoid those challenges. To all my friends out there who are struggling with situations that are making them sad like divorce, trying to find a spouse, trying to make their mark in the world and be noticed even if it's maybe not quite the right way to be noticed, know that all this shall be for thy good and that someday you may need to draw on these experiences to help someone else, maybe even your own child. Remember how you are feeling right now and vow to help someone else to not feel that way if it looks like they might.

4 comments:

  1. Your post makes me think of an old habit of mine, that I even carried into adulthood. I used to always try to avoid stepping on cracks when I was walking around, because of the old superstition 'Step on a crack - break your mother's back.' I didn't actually believe that, but I always thought of it when I looked down at the sidewalk for some reason, and didn't want to be responsible for giving my mom any extra trouble, of course! Just funny, because though stepping on a crack isn't going to hurt anybody, it should be our habit to be compassionate and think about how our words and actions effect others for good or bad, and that is what you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you know I used to be very judgmental and a bit self-righteous growing up. Then due to some bad choices I made, I became a lot more compassionate and forgiving. I still regret those decisions, but I don't regret my attitude change and softened heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good insights Dyanna. Trials are always there for all of us. It's good to take a step back and analyze what's really causing some of it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete