Friday, March 14, 2014

Hope

Last week an acquaintance of mine took his own life.  I was very sad to hear this and I've thought about it several times since I heard the news.  I have tried to imagine being sad enough to think there is no hope and to be able to take my own life.  I just can't imagine it.  It's that hard.  I have felt deep sadness before and I have had thoughts in the last year or so that make me wonder how hard it's going to be trying to get used to my new life after my daughter leaves but when I try to picture myself actually ending it all because I don't see my way through the sadness...I just can't.  I am so thankful that I have hope and a very real belief in a life after this one.  I know this isn't the end of us, this life here on earth.  There is no way that these few short years we have on earth are all there is.  I have a deep and abiding hope that all the things I've read in the scriptures and all the things I have learned in the temple are true and that I will live again with my family and friends that have passed on before me and who will come after me.  This knowledge brings me peace in times of turmoil and hope in times of sadness.  If I just hold on until the end and do my very best then I know the Lord has more in store for me and mine after this life.  While writing this I just got the news that my best friend's father passed this morning and that should be sad but all I can think of is that Rita and her beloved father are together again and that they are as happy as they can possibly be.  I can see them hugging and laughing and loving each other.  It's as real in my heart as it would be if I were seeing it with my eyes.  Thank Heaven for hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment