Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Memory Lane

Yesterday I signed my daughter up for her dorm room at BYU.  I couldn't believe the rush of memories that came over me as I did this.  38 years ago I did the same thing for myself.  She will be living in the same dorms I did.  She will be in a different building because they changed things around just a tad in the past 38 years but she will be having the same experiences I did so long ago.  That was one of the funnest times of my life and I can't wait for her to make those same memories and many more that will be even better.  This definitely softens the blow of her leaving our home.  Seeing the pictures of the old rooms on the computer just took me to a different place.  She will be in Helaman Halls.  How "Mormon" is that?  She will eat in the same cafeteria I did (nicely remodeled).  She will room with a total stranger who she will grow to love very quickly (I hope) and she will meet tons of boys who believe just how she does and who are looking to get married just like she is.  She will go to football games and (hopefully) watch her brother play.  She will have the added advantage (HUGE) of being able to meet her brother's friends on the football team and maybe even go out with some of them.  That, alone, will make her super popular, ha ha.  She actually doesn't really want to be popular at all but I'm sure it will be a little perk.  She has so many more advantages than I did and I'm so happy about that.  I have a ton of family up there right by the college and she has her brother and his wife right there also.  I was the oldest in my family and when I went up there there was no one but me and a million strangers. I missed my younger siblings a lot.   I had also left a boyfriend (my husband) at home so I missed him terribly.  She is the baby and has no one to miss at home because we will be up there so much she will actually get sick of us.  I take a walk every day and I listen to an I "thing" with music on it and the playlist that I randomly picked yesterday had several songs from artists that were just getting popular when I first went to BYU.  I was firmly on Memory Lane all day and loved every minute of it. 

2 comments:

  1. HI! My name is Rosanne Caten. Our daughter, Alyson, is going to be your daughters roommate! I am so excited for them! I can already tell that they will get along just great. My husband and I also went to BYU, and I also lived in Helaman Halls. We have six children, and we live in Tennessee. Our oldest son is on his mission in Argentina, and was accepted to BYU also. Alyson is our oldest daughter...and she is such a joy! She and Savannah are in for some wonderful adventures! We also have family close by BYU, so both girls will be just fine. It is an answer to a prayer of mine for Alyson to have your daughter as her roommate. Aren't you a little jelous of all of the fun they will have? I am!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww this is just so sweet! Also, I'm still laughing that you wrote out I "thing" haha I love you :)

    ReplyDelete