Saturday, September 5, 2009

I'm Exhausted!




I just went on the most emotional rollercoaster ride this past 24 hours. Hunter finally got his varsity jersey with his name on the back. He's only been waiting his whole life to wear one of these. He was so excited. After he left for school I got the morning paper which showed that our coach had named his son the starting quarterback and not my son. I thought my son was better and deserved the job (typical parent) so I was really sad. So, we get to the game and we are definitely not expected to win since we are playing the #6 ranked team in southern California. I'm sure that was because of last year's performance because they lost a few guys and they were not very good (in my humble but most accurate opinion). Of course, we didn't look so hot at first either but we were hanging in there. Then, our quarterback goes down with a broken arm! Now, being a mom and being a very emotional female I felt sick to my stomach. I hate injuries more than anything. They are such a waste! I couldn't imagine what he and his parents were feeling. He's a senior! First game and it's all over. What could be worse? I felt terrible. Then I realized that my son was going to have to go in after this terrible injury and try to play his first varsity game ever. Then I was really sick to my stomach. I was so tense that if anyone would have touched me I think a piece of me would've broken off. I saw other parents surreptitiously looking up at Pat and me and I was trying really hard not to cry while I was praying my guts out. I was so nervous for Hunter. He had pulled a groin muscle three days earlier so I was worried about that, I didn't want him to get injured or be scared, and I certainly didn't want him to mess up after I'd been feeling that he deserved the starting job. So, his very first pass was an interception. Oddly, all I felt was relief that he'd gotten it out of the way early and that it wasn't run back for a touchdown. After that he settled in and played like I know he can play and wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles, little Mission Hills beat the mighty Tesoro! Hunter threw a touchdown pass and ran for some yards and didn't get hurt or mess up too bad and now I can't stop smiling even though I'm emotionally exhausted. I feel terrible for Aaron but I can't help feeling elated that after 27 years of anticipation, we finally have a varsity quarterback. Whew! I need to take a nap.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Dyanna... I mean Hunter:) You've got a wonder boy there!

    ReplyDelete