Monday, February 3, 2014

Info

I am the first to admit that I don't know very much about technology and how it works so I naively thought that only people I know and who I have told about this blog would ever find it and read it.  I had no idea that anyone can find and read anyone's blogs because I don't personally know how to do that.  That being said, I have noticed that there are some people who are not of my faith who have read my blog and I think that there are probably some questions and some confusion about my church's temple.  My son and his fiance are going to be married in our temple in just a few weeks and because this is what we strive for in my religion we are very happy about this.  The fiance's family, however, never saw this possibility in their future so they are, understandably, very confused and sad about this decision.  In our temple, we are not just married to our sweetheart but are sealed for all eternity.  This is something that we believe can only happen in a temple by someone who has the priesthood power to do it.  Since what we do in our temples is sacred to us we don't talk about it outside of the temple so I won't go into detail about it but there is a misunderstanding that only Mormons can see the sealing and no one else.  That is not completely true.  My two youngest children are Mormons and they did not see any of their older brothers get sealed.  My daughter will not witness her brother getting sealed in a few weeks.  To enter the marriage or sealing part of the temple a person not only has to be a member of our church but has to have gone through a process that they can only do when they are an adult and are either going on a mission or getting sealed themselves.  There are a few other options but not relevant to this post. So the brides' family will not be the only ones that will not actually witness the ceremony that is very short, very simple but very special to members of my faith.  The big difference here is that the members of my family have grown up with this knowledge and are ready for it as opposed to the bride's family who are essentially being blindsided.  I can only guess at how they are feeling.  We are not the first people to go through this and we will certainly not be the last.  That doesn't make it any easier, I know.  Lots of people have opted to have a separate "ring ceremony" for the family members to witness outside of the temple.  Our group will not be doing that but we will have a lovely celebration later that will include all family and friends.  I know, for a fact, that both of our families want to honor the wishes of our children and just see them be happy.  The tricky part is trying to keep our own emotions under control and make sure that this is a wonderful event for our children because just as the bride's family are sad at some of the turns this path has taken, I'm sure they want to put on a happy face for this couple. In the same vein, my family is very happy but want to also be respectful of the rest of the group's feelings so, as you can see, we will all need the Lord's help and I'm sure, as always, He will give it:)

3 comments:

  1. I don't normally do comment on a blog of someone I don't know but I feel the need to. I found you through Aleigh's blog. I've been impressed with her testimony just as I have been impressed by yours. I can tell that Aleigh and Hunter will have great support from you as well as her parents! I don't think you have done anything wrong and I love reading your thoughts. I will be praying for your upcoming wedding and comfort for all of those involved in the wedding. Once again, I love reading your blog and I admire everyone involved in this wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone makes mistakes. Live, learn and move on. It's amazing how many people a blog can touch and unfortunately sometimes you get the good with the bad, but I still think it is overall a very worthwhile thing to do. It's amazing how many people are out there relating to you and wishing you the best without you really even knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys:) Very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete