Friday, February 21, 2014

The Story of Us

38 years ago today I had my first date with a guy.  33 years ago today I married him.  We have kind of a unique story so I thought I would share it with you.  When I was 16 years old a boy moved into my area and started going to my church and school.  He was a year younger than me so I didn't really notice him that much because I had always dated older guys.  My mom sure noticed him though.  She told me and my two sisters that she didn't care which one of us married that boy but one of us had to!  He was the same age as my younger sister so I figured that it would be her. They became friends but it never really progressed beyond that.  About a year later I started noticing him a little more.  One night at a high school basketball game that was standing room only I caught his eye and motioned for him to come and sit by me as I already had a seat.  At the time I had no idea why I was doing that as I didn't think I liked him that much.  It was as if someone else was lifting my finger and beckoning him to me.  A few days later we went on our first date and I told him that we were going to get married.  Again, I have no idea where that came from but I knew it with everything in me.  We were 16 and 17 years old.  I had never dated anyone younger than me in my whole life.  I soon discovered that even though he was biologically younger than me, he was spiritually light years ahead of me.  I knew without a doubt that this man was to be my eternal companion and the father of my children.  After enduring separations from college and a mission we were able to be sealed in the Oakland, CA  temple for time and all eternity on the 5 year anniversary of that fateful first date.  We are different in things that don't matter and we are united in things that do.  He is quiet and cautious and methodical and I am noisy and spontaneous and irrational.  I do everything fast and he does everything slower.  He is deep and wise and I am emotional.  Luckily, when it comes to things of the spirit and things of eternity we are completely united.  We both want to go to the Celestial Kingdom and we agree on how to get there.  We have been together for so long now that we are finishing each other's sentences and sharing the same thoughts at the same time more often than not.  I have never regretted following the prompting I had that night to beckon him over to me.  I didn't know what I was doing but the Lord did.  We were meant to be together forever and I have never doubted that for a second.  I love this man with all of my heart and know that he is mine eternally and nothing could bring me greater joy than that knowledge.  Happy Anniversary, Patrick Michael.  We truly are FOREVER MOORE.

1 comment:

  1. I love you and I love Dad. And I love you together even more. :) I hope I can find love like yours and Dad's someday. :)

    ReplyDelete