Thursday, February 14, 2013

Good Luck Charms?

A fun thing happened tonight.  Earlier today the basketball coach at Mission Hills High texted me, because we are practically family after forging through 7 straight varsity basketball seasons together with two of my sons, and asked me if my family wanted to come to the very big game tonight.  It was against our cross town rivals, San Marcos, and it was for a share of the league championship.  We haven't been to a game since Hunter graduated so it was kind of weird that he would ask now.  He was offering to put us on the free pass list and Savannah had to sell tickets anyway so Pat and I went.  We have a weird situation with this rival because they don't have a gym right now so we had to play both of our games against them in our gym.  The first one was their home game and Savannah went.  We lost and it was horrible.  Especially since it was in our own gym.  They are the only team in our league that we have lost to.  So, tonight was our home game and if we won then we would share the league championship.  It felt kind of weird to be there when I didn't have a kid playing and didn't really care about the game, or so I thought.  When the music started playing and the varsity players ran out I immediately teared up remembering literally hundreds of games watching my 5 sons do that very same thing.  As the game progressed I realized how proud I was of our school.  The dance team was fabulous at halftime, our fans were very well behaved, our gym is beautiful and our coach is one of the classiest guys I've ever seen in high school sports.  I really thought I didn't care who won but as the time wound down I found myself on my feet with my heart pounding and my voice hoarse just like hundreds of times before.  It was very close but WE WON!!  Co-Avocado East League Champs!!  The place was so packed and the rivalry so intense that they wouldn't let anyone down on the floor after the game so we couldn't go down and hug our coach but as they hurried him off the floor he looked up into the stands right at us and I gave him a huge grin and a big thumbs up and he did the same back to me.  I don't know what made him invite us to this one game but maybe we turned out to be good luck charms for our beloved Grizzlies.  I hope so:)

No comments:

Post a Comment