Friday, February 1, 2013

Downton Fever

Alright.  I confess.  I have Downton Fever and I have passed it on to Beer and Van.  Downton Abbey is our new favorite show.  I have always had a deep love for anything old English and Victorian.  That kind of life fascinates me.  I could never live in so formal or rigid of an atmosphere but it is sooo fun to watch.  That house!  Those clothes!  Those accents!  The characters!  Love, love love!  I can't imagine measuring every piece of silverware or glassware to make sure it's the exact distance apart or dressing for every meal. In my house it's quite common to eat in our sweats standing up with paper plates or in front of the T.V. with no plates at all.  So I love watching a world that is so romantic and different from mine.  I also love how clean this series is.  It's so refreshing to not hear swearing or see lots of flesh or graphic anything.  They are all so refined yet so interesting.  Van and I have weighed in with our favorites.  Of course Van goes around the house chanting "Mary and Matthew!" every time I turn around.  I love them too but I also love Anna and John Bates, Grandma Violet and Sir Robert.  I want to shoot Thomas and can't figure out his sidekick.  Van and I were heartbroken when Sir Robert almost messed up big time but can't hate him because he is such a good man all around.  Mary is a spitfire but also a very sweet girl.  It fascinates me to watch the difference between the people born to high position and the people born to service.  I can't really fathom that way of life since there is nothing like that on my side of the pond.  I'm so grateful there isn't.  I love that we are all equal over here.  If you want to get lost in a very opulent, interesting and riveting world, tune in to Downton Abbey on PBS's Masterpiece Classics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment