Thursday, October 29, 2015

Annual Entertainment

In my church there is one Sunday that everyone looks forward to the most every year, the infamous Primary Program.  This is where the little children, ages 3-11, sing and say their little parts and generally give us the greatest show on earth.  There is always a fun surprise or two as only little children can produce.  Since I haven't had an 11 year old for a very long time and since I only have 2 grandchildren who are old enough to participate in this activity and since said grandchildren don't live anywhere near me I have not had the opportunity to see anyone with my last name in this program for quite some time.  Well, last week I just happened to be in Arizona helping with my newest grandson when, lo and behold, that Sunday was the Primary Program!  I was so excited to see Landon perform.  We practiced his little one line part with him all week but he never once said it right.  He would ad lib and come up with ridiculous sayings every time.  We started to realize that we really had no idea what would come out of his mouth come Sunday morning.  I've never had a child like that before.  My kids were all very shy and quiet and petrified of their speaking parts.  They memorized them perfectly and in perfect monotones as only their dad can do they shakily delivered them right on cue, (except for Hunter who is so shy that he just hung his head and wouldn't say a word).  When the day came I was super excited to see the next generation in action and sure enough, he didn't disappoint.  He wiggled and fidgeted through all the songs, not singing a note until his favorite one came up.  He chewed on his tie and sat on his teacher's lap and stretched his arms above his head numerous times.  He, physically, looked so much like his dad at that age that it was spooky.  When it came time for his speaking part he yelled (yes, yelled) into the microphone a line that we had not previously practiced, ever.  After regaining our hearing, his mom and I just looked at each other, smiled and shook our heads.  That's our boy.  Another greatest show on earth in the books:)

No comments:

Post a Comment