Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A Tale of Two Families

The vast majority of people have two families, the one they came from and the one they created.  While growing up we can be very close to our siblings and parents and develop multitudes of great memories.  However, once we get married and have our own children it's very easy to focus only on them and neglect those other family ties.  This is exactly what I have done for many, many years.  I have given nearly all of my time and heart to my husband and children and therefore my ties with my parents and siblings have become very weak.  Now that almost all of my children have their own "other families" I find myself yearning to be part of my "other family" again.  Nobody knows you like your birth family.  Nobody saw you grow up and develop like they did.  Nobody has the same childhood memories as they do.  I got to thinking that it would be a real shame if my children gave up on each other and focused only on the families they are creating.  And I would really hate to see them treat me the way that I have been treating my mom for a long time.  Nothing horrendous, just not really staying in touch.
There needs to be a balance and I am going to try to fix mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment