Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Skipping Thanksgiving?

Some people think that starting Christmas early means skipping Thanksgiving or not giving Thanksgiving it's proper observance or attention.  I don't think of it that way and on my walk today I figured out why that is.  Christmas has this intangible feeling that is hard to explain.  Technically it's a religious holiday but since so many people in the world aren't exactly religious it has taken on a bigger meaning.  Christmas is love and unselfishness and unity and an overall feeling of goodness and kindness and happiness.  Of course, those of us who are extremely religious recognize that as Jesus Christ and his influence on this world.  To me, Thanksgiving Day is the kickoff  for Christmas and all of those wonderful feelings.  We set aside a day to think of the things we are thankful for but I think that putting up Christmas decorations and thinking of the real meaning of Christmas, even if it's in the back of our minds and searching for gifts for those we love beforehand kind of warms us up for that wonderful day of giving thanks.  We then carry those warm, happy feelings through until Christmas Day. I just love this whole holiday time and it's way too short for me so I will milk it for all it's worth and enjoy every song and decoration and feeling for as long as I can.  Happy Christmas and Merry Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment